The Finance and Accounts Department is a service Department to other functional/technical Departments of the Ministry as in other MDAs. In line with the Financial Regulations and Other Federal Government’s extant rules, the Department renders financial advice, guidance and reports on the finances and budget of the Ministry to the Accounting Officer. It is principally charged with the responsibilities of financial management and control of the resources of the main Ministry, it’s Parastatals/Agencies especially the Federal Unity Colleges. These functions include among others; budgetary planning, control and operation of the accounts of the Ministry and Agencies.
Maintain high ethical and professional competence as the custodians of Public Funds by ensuring Probity, Transparency, Integrity and Accountability in the Ministry’s search for quality education for the nation.
To manage and control the Ministry’s financial resources in accordance with the laid down rules and regulations, rendering both management and statutory accounting returns and installing a result-oriented and fraud-proof accounting system with constant focus on effective Service Delivery.
The department is headed by a Director and structured into two Divisions each headed by a Deputy Director: –
The Accounts division is headed by a Deputy Director who is responsible for implementation and review of adequate accounting system and Management of Funds allocated to the Ministry. He is in charge of all payments made within the Ministry and ensure prompt rendition of statutory accounting returns.
The Budget Division which is also headed by a Deputy Director is statutorily charged with the responsibility of co-coordinating the preparation of Annual Budget (i.e. Recurrent and Capital) proposals of the Ministry and its Parastatals. Defence of the Ministry’s recommended Budget from the Federal Ministry of Finance (FMF) at the National Assembly in conjunction with other Departments.
It is responsible for Budget implementation and monitoring.
It also determines Budget Variances and reasons for their occurrence.
Divisions sub-divided into Branches/Sections, each headed by an Assistant Director/ Chief Accountant as appropriate:
- Recurrent Expenditure (Other Charges Section)
- Capital Expenditure Section
- Checking (Internal Control) Section
- Central Pay Office
- Salaries Variation Section
- Audit Queries/ PAC/ Investigations Section
- Accounts Admin Section
- Advances/Loans Section
- Funds Control Section
- Revenue Section
- Recurrent Budget Section
- Capital Budget Section
MANDATES/FUNCTIONS OF THE DEPARTMENT
The Finance and Accounts Department is charged with the following responsibilities, among others:
- Financial controls and management of the resources of the Ministry to ensure internal checks and fiscal discipline;
- Advising the Accounting Officer on all financial matters in line with the Financial Regulation and other extant rules and regulations;
- Regular brief on the financial position of the Ministry to the Honourable Minister and Permanent Secretary whenever required;
- Ensuring compliance with Financial Regulations, Accounting Codes and all other extant rules in accounting for all public funds;
- Compilation of Ministry (Headquarters) budget, collation of budget inputs from Federal Unity Colleges and other Agencies, defense of the Ministry’s budget proposals with the Accounting Officer in the Budget Office of the Federation, Federal Ministry of Finance and National Assembly;
- Ensuring effective budgetary control through proper budget implementation in line with approved allocation;
- Monitoring and Evaluation of Ministry’s yearly Budget performance;
- Monitoring of Capital Projects and Programmes in collaboration with the Department of Planning;
- Liaison with the Budget Office of the Federation, Federal Ministry of Finance for adequate and timely releases of funds to the Ministry and its Agencies;
- Ensuring that all funds received by the Ministry are utilized for the purposes for which they are meant and in accordance with laid down procedures and in line with Financial Regulation and other extant rules;
- Maintenance of the Statutory Books of Accounts (Overhead and Capital accounts) of the Ministry;
- Rendition of weekly Returns on Vote Book balances to guide approval patterns;
- Preparation and timely rendition of all statutory Financial Returns like transcripts, Expenditure Returns, Revenue Returns, Budget Performance Report, etc. to relevant Offices of Government;
- Receipt and response to all audit queries issued by the Office of the Auditor-General for the Federation and the Public Accounts Committee of the National Assembly;
- Posting of Bursars to Federal Unity Colleges
- Monitoring of all Documentary Letters of Credits (L/Cs) of the Ministry on Capital Projects with the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) to ensure that disbursements on these L/Cs are in line with terms and conditions establishing them;
- Member of the Ministry’s Top Management Committee (TMC), Ministerial Tenders Board (MTB) and Procurement Planning Committee (PPC);
- Ensuring regular training of the Departmental staff to enhance optimum productivity;